Wednesday, May 16, 2007

?uestions


What happens when we feel compelled to sin? Why do we have a human nature that is sinful? If within someone there are two voices saying two different things and one says take action and the other says not to how are we to know which to listen to? Everyone knows that killing is bad, lying is wrong, drunkenness is sinful but what about things that aren't so black and white? I was thinking about some ways to tell what is the right thing to do in a situation and thought about the popular saying "What would Jesus do?" or W.W.J.D. for short. Well I am not Jesus so this brings up a few questions such as Jesus was friends with prostitutes so should I do the same? or in a relationship how should someone treat their other half?. Jesus gave us no example for that. I am curious if Jesus would if he were in my position continue to play music or would he preach? Would he sacrifice what he wants for his family or for someone he loves? Some things are so unclear. Its almost like I can only see six inches in front of my nose and even some of those things are blurry. Questions about purpose and life's mission and how to change the world are serious ones that are scary when the steps are blurry. I guess all this leads back to Faith. Without faith none of these questions have answers and the little light that allowed me to see six inches in front of me goes out. Sometimes Faith feels like walking across the grand canyon: You are stepping on air but because you have your eyes closed and you believe so much that you won't fall, you simply don't. My advice to all: Don't look down.

4 comments:

Trisha said...

Wow, I think thats all I can say! You are very brave, to ask such questions, hopefully they will lead to answers.

Matthew g Prior said...

http://www.ssnet.org/bsc/ihs/ihs.html
I've been reading this for devotions recently. The start of the WWJD movement happened quite a while ago.
Your thoughts also resemble Romans 7.

Zacky said...

ROMANS 7:7 (Struggling With Sin)

7What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."[b] 8But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. 9Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.
11For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. 12So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good. 13Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! But in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.

14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I see the connection. Thank you for the bible reference. It is good to know that I am not blasphemous in my questioning.

Bryan said...

Great thoughts.......I will sometimes talk/ bounce things/questions off of my wife, mom, dad, brothers and sisters, friends at work, friends. But mostly I ask myself how I feel inside. It really works, it guides me thru most issues.