Thursday, June 14, 2007

Faith and Trust


Trust game . . . Anyone know what I am talking about? One person stands behind another to catch them when they fall henceforth earning their trust through repetition. We played an adaption of this game where one person stood on the stage , fell back, and was caught by the entire group. Also we could choose to allow the group to bounce us up and down until we moved to the end of the line. It looked pretty similar to the picture here although that is just some random picture I found. Anyways now for the point of me writing all this down for you to read: It was interesting to see who trusted more easily then the next person. You could see the fear on people's faces. It was disheartening to see that we were scared but I believe that is natural. What amazed me even more was when people had a ook of extreme fear and with little to no hesitation they turned around and just fell. We didn't drop anyone (too hard). I am curious what was going through peoples mind. Why were they scared? Why did they overide their fear so quickly and fall? I was mildy scared. I was one of the last people and there were those before me like Rob who is an adult and we bounced him no problem. Rationally I had no reason to fear. I emotionally trusted the people that I saw who were there to catch me so I had no reason to fear emotionally. After reason and emotion have been calmed I still had some left over fear. Where does that stuff come from? It was easier to overide my fear with the youth group then with most other people. I am curious what God feels like when we won't fall into his arms. He is stronger than our youth group. He created us. . . This ties in a lot with the other game. I was supposed to be the one person to tell Chris the truth about where to go when he was blind folded and everyoen else just shouting random things. He was listening to me when I told him where to go at first and then he stepped on a piece of paper (the point of the game for the blind folded people is to avoid touching paper) and he lost all of his trust in me. He expected that by listening to me he would never hit paper if I was the one he was supposed to listen to. Do we expect that of God? He raised his head to my direction and then looked away and decided to not listen to me again. He hit three other papers while being lead a stray by others while I tried to regain his trust. There was nothing I could do or say to make him believe me again. I am not sure how he made it back to listening to me. I am glad he did because they got him turned around and starting to head back to the beginning. It really did not feel good at all to know I had lost his trust. Everyone was yelling and I didn't know how to get him back. Scary stuff ... good thing it's only a game, right?

2 comments:

Kristiny-Head said...

It really is scary to thank about how if God lets us down one time it is extrememly hard to trust him again. I mean i wish it was easy to understand that things happen for a reason but once you are hurt it is always hard to regain trust at first. Isn't it also interesting to realize how hard it was to figure out Gods voice in the first place? Some interesting things learned about God...as well as our youth group. It was a good night.

Zacky said...

I second that it was a great night.